Color is an important part of any design. It evokes emotion which can result in negative, positive or mismatched feelings. It is non-verbal communication at its best and undoubtedly the essential means to touch the chords of the website audience.
The colors of the web design must match the meaning of the brand and the overall brand personality. The meaning varies depending on our personal preferences and cultural background.
But overall it should be able to set the right tone and carry a necessary message for visitors.The web designer may have to work with existing artwork such as logos and will have to choose colors based on this information.
But it is important to choose the right color scheme for the whole website guided by the main principles of color theory.
As colors can arouse plenty of feelings and trigger actions, it is an extremely powerful tool to spread the right idea across. Let’s discover the magic of color in today’s web platform.
Recent art forms now open to a lot of business applications be it web designing or advertising industry.
There is an utter need of proper depth and skill of color usage to improve and refine web content. Repeated use of colors will affect the users mind and mood subconsciously.
If the color scheme is chosen right for grabbing your audience’s attention, a huge part of the work is already done. So, web designer should take proper caution in choosing the colors.
- There are plenty of tools in the market that helps and guides the designer to choose perfect color scheme.
- For beginners Paletton is a simplified tool that assists in creating a balanced site.
- Adobe Color CC is soughed to be the most trusted color assistance tools available in the market.
- Flat UI Color Picker has a definite influence from communicating contrast or similarity, to evoking precise emotions through color selection.
- Mudcube Color Sphere offers a variety of themes to choose for their appropriate websites.
- Check my colors is also an efficient tool to check foreground and background color combinations
Colors contribute to an overall aesthetic and provide user interaction cues too. While many designers are definitely designing in the decade of vibrant color, red, orange, pink, blue and purple are used more frequently than others in web design projects.
Bright color choices are always in the topmost list as they contribute to the design itself delivering valuable user experience. They add an extra dimension to almost any project and create an emotional connection, further engaging the user.
As bold colors dominate web design, bold typography can create lasting and powerful aesthetics too.
In the future, designers will try to combine the traditional and primary hues with deeper, bolder and even brighter designs. They are attention-grabbing and can add a touch of modern flair to almost any design style.
Leading in popularity are high resolution images and vibrant colors, which continue to dominate the web design landscape.
More projects will take on a styled color palette that mirrors popular culture combined with a vintage look and feel. The fallout gradients can also be used as captivating tools in the future.
The popularity and high definition quality of flat designs has expanded the role of colors in web design. It has not only evolved but adapted itself to multiple projects of diverse color palettes. Flat UI design has ensued use of contrasting elements to suit the maturing taste of the audience.
The use of single color with a mixture of tints and tones to create a visual design launched the purpose of monotone colors.
They are the simplest means to create effective designs without affecting the legibility of the web interface. The issues of matching and readability are sorted by these custom colors.
Here are some tips that will help web designers in using colors appropriately: -
- Use contrasting colors between text and background to make it readable
- Use enough colors to showcase elements properly
- Keep the headlines of the website with minimal color
- To capture the attention of a visitor, use intense colors.
- Stick to nature’s complimentary color schemes to avoid untoward references.
- To represent passion and power, red is the most effective color that will attract the most attention.
- For showing creativity while retaining familiarity, orange tones work the best.
- Yellow gives the impression of antiquity, and lend an air of timelessness, wisdom, and curiosity.
- Green bridges the gap between warm and cool colors.
- For tones of strength and reliability, blue shades work out the perfect match.
- Purples suggest lavishness and are a popular choice for fashion and luxury goods
- Black is a neutral color that is used to create a sense of sophistication and timelessness.
- Minimalist and simplistic sites use white as a background. It is best used for accenting the other colors on the page and retain an uncluttered feel of the brand.
Color has always been an important web design element. Over the last decade, web design has tremendously evolved and there are many modern web design practices adopted by designers.
Many design houses have come up with standard color pallets and usage guidelines written specifically around effective use of colors.
Google's material design is recent example of one such design standards that has emphasized use of colors to great extent. Do share your experience and opinion on use of colors with our readers, via comments below. Cheers!