10 Dominating Mobile App Programming Language In 2020:-
Programming Languages is a conglomeration of instructions that helps in transforming an idea into a virtual platform. It implements algorithms in computer programming to process the data for obtaining a productive result.
Programming languages play a vital role in performing tasks. These languages depend on different operating systems. There are multiple languages for a particular operating system, and that’s where a question arises that which one is the best to choose?
The above question is explained below with examples, such as iOS uses Objective C or Swift as their core programming language. On the other hand, Android uses Java or Kotlin as its primary language.
When you talk about hybrid apps or cross-platform apps, then either React-Native or Dart is an ideal option.
It becomes difficult to select the best programming languages out of the numerous ones. And that’s the reason, I have listed a few best and efficient ones that will surely help you in building your virtual platform.
Swift is the latest and trending iOS mobile app programming language. It was invented in 2014 with an aim to work with the Apple Cocoa and Cocoa Touch framework. It offers expressive syntax. Also, Swift is the developer’s favorite programming language.
Moreover, the software build using Swift runs lightning-fast. And, the code written in Swift is also safe. Overall, Swift is the most demanding and effective programming language to convert your idea.
Let’s have a quick look at the amazing features of Swift:
- Quick and Potent
- Powerful Error Handling
- Safe Coding
- Concise iteration of collection
Now, you can also explore the pros and cons of Swift
- Pros of Swift
- Rapid Development Process: Swift is easily understandable and simple to write. Also, the language is modern and that’s the reason it requires less coding. Objective C, on the other hand, takes more time to code. Moreover, it has ARC (Automated Reference Counting) which means it manages the app’s memory usage which means there is no requirement of manual intervention.
- Safety & Performance: Swift smartly manages the error handling process and also prevents code crashes. You can easily detect the bugs and errors and fix them on the fly. It completely eliminates the risk of poor quality code.
On the other hand, if we talk about the performance then it has proven to increase in 40 percent as compared to its predecessor. Also, there are numerous ways to optimize performance and make the process swift and smooth.
- Interoperability: Objective C is a senior programming language that eventually is going to get old and less prevalent. But, it will not diminish completely and will always exist in the market. So, it becomes important that both the language learn to program together.
You can always reap the benefits of Objective C and compile it with Swift and operate. Moreover, it can be used interchangeably within the same project.
- Full-Stack & Cross-Device Support: Swift reduces the development time by reusing the code. It uses Swift on both the back-end and front-end of your application. Additionally, it supports Linux and Windows Platform as an open-source project.
- Cons of Swift
- Juvenile Language: Swift is a young programming language not only in terms of years but also in terms of performance. After every update, it seems unstable and doomed. Also, it has not explored the libraries or native tools.
- Poor Interchangeable With Third-Party & IDEs: The updates as discussed in the above point is the major limitation of Swift language. It becomes an arduous task for the developers to find the right tool for development.
- Lacking Support: Swift is a modern language and it is programmed in such a way that it only operated in iOS7 and later versions. So, for the senior version, it still needs to depend on Objective C.
2. Objective C
Objective C is the mature programming language of Apple iOS mobile applications. It is object-oriented and satisfies the general-purpose of programming language. Also, we can say that Objective C is a superset of programming language C.
Moreover, it obtains the syntax, flow control statement and initial stages of language C. The main function of Objective C is to deliver object-oriented function and an active runtime. Additionally, it has language-level support.
Below are the features of Objective C that could help in crafting a highly-intuitive iOS applications:
- Dynamic Typing
- Classes are Objects
- C Inside
- Access to Apple Technologies
Apart from features, let’s have a look at the pros and cons of Objective C:
- Pros of Objective C
- It focuses on its feature-rich frameworks and delivers graphical interfaces.
- It is open to migration. You can easily migrate the codes from Swift to Objective C.
- It is an advanced version of language C. So, it compiles the benefit of language C.
- Cons of Objective C
- It does not support garbage collection.
- It does not include a namespace mechanism.
- Also, it does not bolster the operator overloading.
- Inherit objects only from one class.
Java is a programming language that requires to write once and it runs everywhere. It is an official Android app development language that has built thousands of applications. Also, Google bolsters Java as a programming language.
The Software Development Kit of Android incorporates multiple libraries that include graphic libraries, math libraries, structure libraries, networking libraries and many more. Also, it includes special libraries that can beautifully create your Android Apps.
Some exciting features of Java are as follows:
- Potent IDE making coding easier and error-free
- Numerous Open-source libraries
- Huge Community to Support
- Re-usable code
- Object-oriented Language
Some Pros and Cons of Java:
- Pros of Java:
- Secure: Security is the Supreme factor of Java. It considers it an integral part while app development. The interpreter, runtime environment and compiler of Android are all developed considering security in the mind. A unique identifier in Java Virtual Machine point outs bytecode before running it.
- Object-Oriented: The concept like abstraction, inheritance, encapsulation polymorphism, class, and object helps in creating reusable code modular programs.
- Memory Allocation: It is dividing in two parts namely, Heap & Stack The declaration of a variable JVM gives memory either from Heap or stack. The storing of information is easy and also helps in keeping it. Also, Java follows the LIFO pattern to use to store and retrieve data.
- Cons of Java:
- Complicated: It is a complicated language for the newbies. The topics like null pointers, concurrency, checked exception and constructor are all complex and that becomes difficult for the young developers to understand.
- Memory Management: The garbage collector becomes the biggest disadvantage of Java. Whenever it runs, it affects performance because all the other threads need to be on hold to allow the garbage collector to run.
- Performance: C or C++ is a natively compiled language that makes them faster and quicker. And on the other hand, Java is memory-consuming and slower in performance than the former one.
Kotlin is a cross-platform programming language that is a substitute for Java in app development.
Also, it has a feature of interoperability with Java. Kotlin is one of the easiest languages in Android App Development. Even the juvenile can have hands-on in the app development using Kotlin.
Some Amazing Features of Kotlin:
- Clean & Multi-Advanced Features
- Simple for Juvenile Developers
- Supports IDE including Android Studio & SDK
- Native Code Runs on across platforms
- Detect & Fixes the Bugs
- Compile to JVM bytecode
- Less Coding
Let’s have a glance at Pros and Cons of Kotlin:
- Pros of Kotlin:
- Productivity: Kotlin is powerful in writing code and deploying. Also, it can maintain the code’s quality. Moreover, it eliminates the risk of Java being obsolete and is also interoperable which increases productivity.
- Bugs: It has a compact codebase that leaves no stones unturned that results in less and detectable errors. The detection and fixing of errors and bugs in a shorter span of time make kotlin as a preferred programming language.
- Combines Programming: There are numerous programming paradigms with ubiquitous usage. And out of those selecting the best to implement is difficult. The effective approaches are functional and procedural where either one can be effective and vice versa.
Instead, kotlin leverages both the Functional and Procedural Programming.
- Cons of Kotlin:
- Compilation Speed: Kotlin lacks in speeding up the clean building process.
- Limited Resource: There are limited resources available globally, and that’s the reason it restricts language & resolving different queries in the process of application building.
- Not Exactly Java: Kotlin requires learning and without it, no developer would make a switch to other programming languages.
Python is a versatile programming language that not only builds applications but also bolsters cognitive technologies.
Also, if we talk about applications, it builds mobile, desktops, and web apps. Additionally, it analyzes and computes scientific and numeric data, creating desktop GUIs and software development.
Development of application primarily requires a budget and you should always understand what will be theprice to create an app. The article will give you an in-depth idea about the cost structure of building an app.
Some enticing features about Python are as follows:
- Easy to learn
- Supports GUI application
- Runs across OSs
- Runtime by Interpreter
- Scalable Bolsters Cognitive Technology
- Hassle-free App Development
Now, let’s have a look at the Advantages and Disadvantages of Python:
- Pros of Python:
- Ideal Option For Prototype Building: Python has proven to be a great option in building prototypes as it saves time and cost. Also, it uses less coding which is again a big headache.
- Vast Community: You can never doubt on Python community as it is very large and active. They are always ready to support and provide a solution. So, if you are in a problem, the community always stands on their toes to help the developer.
- Quick App Development: Python is a programming language that is feature-rich and versatile. It speedily builds the application and also saves a lot of time for the developers. The reusability of code can turn into a major advantage for application development.
- Cons of Python:
- Threading Problems: GIL becomes problematic in Python as it allows only thread to implement at the time. Also, you can face difficulties in executing multi-threaded CPU-bound programs as they are slower than single-threaded.
- Not Familiar With Mobile Environment: Python seems to be performing weak in building mobile applications.
- Speed: Python seems to be slow in app development, So, it becomes a hindrance in development.
Ruby is a high-level multi-paradigm programming language. Also, if you look for an opportunity in Ruby as a developer, then there is 5x more demand.
Ruby stands at second after Java for implementing many ideas into virtual platforms. Just like Python, Ruby also bolsters the cognitive technology.
Some noticing features of Ruby:
- Dynamic and Duck typing
- Garbage Collection
- Expressive features
Also, look for the pros and cons of Ruby:
- Pros of Ruby:
- Multi-Paradigm: A developer is free to write an imperative, simple and bash-like script using the high-level programming language called Ruby.
- In-built Data Structures: The built-in data structures do their job excellently. You can create a structure from scratch.
- Dependency: It seamlessly manages and fetches dependencies. Also, it’s okay if you don’t depend on Ant or Maven and classpaths and dependency conflicts.
- Cons of Ruby:
- Documentation: It is difficult to find great gems and libraries in Ruby. And also, there is limited support in the documentation and from the community.
- Processing Speed: Ruby doesn’t stand on what it should. It doesn’t speed up processing and that is the reason it is not the developer’s favorite.
- New: Ruby developers require knowledge prior to the use of it. And that becomes the reason for not being so popular and developer’s favorite.
Perl comes from a high-level programming language family, i.e., Perl 5 and Perl 6. It leverages features from other languages such as C, sed, AWK, and others. Also, it runs and evolves together.
Perl can build apps such as automation, bioinformatics, web, app and game development.
Let’s take a look at extra-ordinary features of Perl:
- Quick & Trustworthy
- Happy & Satisfies Users
- Learning Perl would attract no competition and monopoly zone.
Apart from features, there are advantages and disadvantages of Perl which everyone should take into consideration:
- Pros of Perl:
- Complex Programming Language: Perl can handle high complexity programming language. Also, it supports external libraries through XS and SWIG.
- Processing Text: It can manipulate text-format files. Also, it doesn’t have a long data limit from Unix command-line tool.
- Potent Programming Language: The support system of Perl programming language is strong and it also supports functional programming.
- Cons of Perl:
- Bug Fixing: It is a slow and tedious task in fixing bugs. Also, it is inseparable from its ability to manipulate text causing arduous tasks for programmers to find bugs.
- Web Development: The Perl programming language does not focus on developing web applications. Therefore, it becomes difficult for web app developers to understand this language.
PhoneGap, jQuery Mobile, and Ionic are frameworks uses JS to create a professional application. The biggest benefit of building an application in JS is that it requires coding once and using it across platforms such as iOS, Android and Windows.
- Easy language
- Quick & Efficient
- Saves bandwidth by using a client-side server for app development
- Dynamic and creating attractive animation.
- Fast: It reduces the time for compilation, unlike other programming languages. Also, it is an interpreted language. It boosts the implementation of the program by reducing the time that is required to connect the server.
- Server Load: Data validation is possible over the server instead of sending it off to the server. If there is any glitch, the entire website requires reloading.
- Extended Functionality: The third-party add-ons like Greasemonkey allows faster and smoother application development than other programming languages.
- Lacks in Debugging: It is not as efficient as other editors like C/C++. Also, the developer would not be able to detect the error.
PhoneGap supports HTML5 in building Android as well as iOS applications. Also, you can reuse the code across devices.
Some notable features of HTML5:
- Support Mobile App
- Drag & Drop feature
- Responsive design with support for all devices
- Easy to learn and simple to use.
Understand the Pros and Cons of HTML5:
- Pros of HTML5:
- Audio/Video Support: The CANVAS element is the new feature and has numerous uses. Also, it can be used with apps like Flash to generate, graphics, online and offline games, animations and interactive audio and video.
- Consistency: HTML5 consistently uses the code from a web page on one site to another. It will make easier for designer and developer to understand web page structure.
- Cons of HTML5:
- Not Support Old Browser: Internet Explorer is not compatible with HTML5. It doesn’t support old browsers and that becomes a hurdle.
- Inconsistency: HTML5 renders different on different browser. This may lead to inconsistent learning content delivery.
PHP is a core programming language that focuses on building websites. But, it is used for building general-purpose development. Also, it can be used for command-line scripting and coding application.
Some features of PHP:
- Server Compatible
- Database Integration
- Numerous Apps
- Procedural & Object-oriented
Let’s have a look at Pros and cons:
- Pros of PHP:
- Fast Development: PHP has feature-rich tools, snippets that help in building web applications. Also, these tools fuel the development process and execute the task within a shorter span of time.
- No additional code required: It provides a code generation feature that reduces time in writing code. The source code is clean and maintainable.
- Cons of PHP:
- Security: As it is open-source, it is vulnerable to malware attacks. Anyone can trace the source code.
- Affect Speed & Performance: PHP is a feature-rich programming language that is good, but it becomes hindrance while developing small apps as the in-built PHP features affect the speed and performance of the application.
The above programming languages are ruling in the market, and these are the best options one can leverage to build mobile applications.
The world is accepting applications very rapidly as they are very compact and easy to use.