Mains (JEE Mains), previously known as All India Engineering Entrance Exam (AIEEE), is a nationwide examination held by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for admission into the National Institute of Technology (NITs), Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) and Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs).
- On qualifying for JEE mains, you can take admissions for bachelor’s degree courses like B.E / B.Tech, B.Arch, and B. Planning.
- Furthermore, if one desires to appear in the JEE advanced, one must have adequate knowledge about the JEE main chapter wise weightage and cut-off.
- The JEE is a wonderful option for people who wish to make a career in engineering and engineering-related disciplines.
Moreover, you must be pondering why JEE is so important in India and why most students wish to take admissions in the IIT. The answer to this is; IITs offer a top-tier quality curriculum, incredible career opportunities, and a huge influence on science and engineering. Hence getting admission to such prestigious institutes is still just a dream for many students in India.
JEE Main is a starting level exam that is less difficult than JEE advanced. JEE involves two exams. In their undergraduate programs, the first exam is directed for admission in NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, and other significant educational institutions.
And the second exam is JEE advanced for admissions in IIT, which is considered the most prestigious engineering institute in India. Because of this, families and teachers of the students inspire them to appear for JEE.
JEE consists of three science subjects- Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry. To clear the exam, one is supposed to have an extraordinary knowledge of each unit of the subjects mentioned above.
To take admissions in recognized institutions like NITs, IIITs and GFTIs, to reach one step closer to getting into IIT, and to receive a degree in the desired course, students should clear the JEE main. This will make them eligible for JEE advanced and all the institutions mentioned above.
The exam held by the government supports technical institutions like NITs, IIITs and GFTIs are called the JEE mains.
Some of the prestigious educational institutions that accept the JEE main results are:
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Gandhinagar
- Amity School of Engineering, Noida
- SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
Students who crack JEE are considered the smartest and brightest; they achieve their degree by following a strict and strategically formed curriculum.
Eligibility Criteria for JEE mains is given below:
The academic criterion for the candidates to appear in JEE is that the candidate is required to pass the 10th, 12th examinations recognized by any board.
There is no age limit to appear for the JEE examination. Any person at any age can appear for the examination.
Attempts: A candidate can appear 6 times for the exam in three consecutive years. JEE mains are conducted twice a year; a candidate can appear in both the papers, which would be considered one attempt.
- To crack JEE, the student is supposed to reach the minimum cut-off.
- Every student should know about the minimum cut-off marks, which are important in getting admission to the desired college and stream.
- The lowest amount of score a candidate has to score to clear the examination is termed a cut-off for the given examination.
- The students who achieve the cut-off marks are allowed to appear in the JEE advanced and take admissions in NITs, IIITs, GFTIs as per their guidelines.
- The cut-off marks are displayed on the official JEE mains website, which is revealed after the declaration of the exam results.
The cut-off will aid as the minimum eligible score for a student to appear in JEE advanced, which means that if a student scores fewer marks than the cut-off released by the National Testing Agency, they will not be allowed to appear for JEE advanced.
JEE mains cut-offs are usually high because the number of candidates appearing in the exam is humungous, and the difficulty level of the paper is comparatively lower than that of JEE advanced.
The JEE main cut-off for the year 2020 was:
- The cut-off for the general caste is 70.24
- The cut-off for Other Backword Classes – Non-creamy layer (OBC-NCL) is 72.88
- The cut-off for Scheduled caste (SC) is 50.17
- The cut-off for Scheduled Tribe (ST) is 39.06
Factors affecting cut-offs:
- A number of candidates appear for the exam.
- The difficulty level of the exam.
- Previous year’s cut-off trends.
- Seats are available in particular streams and courses.
- Candidate’s overall performance.
The JEE main cut-off is decided college-wise, which decides the student’s eligibility to get admission in a participating institute. Let us consider an example here, the cut-off for IIIT will be defined by the factors mentioned above as per specific IIITs.
By analyzing the previous year’s cut-offs and the question paper patterns, a student can determine the current year’s cut-offs and question paper patterns. The NTA provides tools for predicting marks and ranks through the rank predictor, which helps to match with the previous year’s cut-offs and prepare a new strategy.
This article covered everything related to JEE and JEE cut-offs a JEE aspirant needed to know. JEE is an all-India entrance test conducted by the National Testing Agency for taking admissions into top-notch engineering and technical institutes in India. The exam is conducted in two parts, the number is JEE mains, and the number two is JEE advanced. One must clear JEE mains to appear for JEE advanced.
Many glorified institutions accept the JEE mains score in India, like the NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs. After clearing JEE mains and appearing for the JEE advanced, a student comes one step closer to getting into an IIT, India’s best engineering institution. IITs have an excellent curriculum and have contributed a lot to the science community. The college life in the IITs and the career opportunities an IIT offers are top-notch.
Now that you are mindful of why JEE is considered important, get ready and begin the preparation right away and unlock the best career opportunities available out there for you.