The success of a press release distribution hinges on many things. In truth, a successful PR distribution takes a lot of work, time, and resources. Not to mention that in today’s modern and digital world, more and more things are needed to ensure a news copy is distributed correctly to the right channels. With certain things like SEO, social media, and site traffic to consider, what are the methods you can do to maximize a press release’s potential? Read ahead for the best tips for a successful press release distribution.
What is a press release?
A press release is a news copy that contains specific information about a significant event involving a business or organization. A press release can be about anything from the launching of a new product or service, a merger, a new store, or anything that requires dissemination to your target audience. They are short, often containing 400 to 600 words.
Once a press release is written, it is distributed to the media and other channels, in the hopes that journalists will write a story about it and get it published. These days, a press release distribution also involves dissemination to various websites. Businesses can opt to avail a paid press release distribution from various PR companies. There are also a variety of online PR websites that will publish your press release for free.
The How do you write a great press release?
The first ingredient in a successful PR distribution is to have a stellar press release. A maximized distribution campaign can indeed send your press release into the right hands, but if it doesn’t pique interest, all your efforts will be for nothing. Here are a few tips to help you write an irresistible press release.
1. Write something newsworthy. A press release is essentially a piece of news to be distributed to your target audience. This means that it has to be newsworthy, useful, relevant, and interesting to your readers. It doesn’t have to breaking-news material, but it should be at least something worth sharing and reading.
2. Make your headline pop. Create an irresistible headline. Since this is the first thing people will read, make sure that they get a good grasp of your story, but still pique their interest enough for them to want to know more. Keep it concise and use clear language. Use human language and skip the jargon.
3. Answer all the questions. You only get a few hundred words, so you better use them wisely. Make your point and don’t dilly-dally. Get straight to the point. Answer the focal questions, who, what, when, where, and how. Make sure that you relay the most critical information first with the substantial supporting data. Skip anything that is not relevant and does not help add weight to your press release.
4. Get someone to quote on it. Adding a quote from an industry expert gives more insight to your press release. Furthermore, journalists love quoting from good sources. By adding an insightful quote to your press release, you give the impression that your news affects real people. Something that helps personify your core message can add a little personal touch to your story. Adding a human factor to your press release will make it all the more irresistible.
5. Use SEO techniques. Another way to maximize your copy’s reach is by optimizing it for search engines. This can add traffic to your site. But don’t just cram links and keywords on your press release. Create high-quality content and infuse it with strategically placed keywords and links that do not take away its readability.
6. Use multimedia. An attractive image or a highly relevant video can make your press release even more attractive. The human brain processes image thousands of times more than it does text. Use visual content to capture your reader’s attention. You can even use infographics if you want to relay a lot of information and facts without sacrificing word-count.
7. Include a CTA (Call-to-action). If you want your readers to follow up on your press release, a clear call-to-action can help you. This will help guide a journalist or your readers to take the next step. Your CTA should contain an action word. For example, you can encourage your readers to sign up for a free trial or to request a service demo. Take this opportunity to entice your customers.
8. Make the most out of your last paragraph. Closing is just as important as an opening. When writing your press release, make sure that your last paragraph counts. You need to wrap up your story effectively. In this part of your press release, you should include details about your company such as your contact details. You can use this last paragraph to end your release on a high note.
How do I distribute my press release?
Once you have a great press release material, it’s time to distribute it. Contrary to what you may initially think, the main goal of a press release distribution is to disseminate your copy to the right journalists. As much as it makes sense to send out your release to as many journalists as you can, you’re probably just wasting your time. The most effective PR distribution campaign aims to send your copy to the hands of journalists or audiences that will actually be interested in your news. So how can you do this? Read the tips below.
1. Reach out to specific journalists that cover beats in your industry. This would require you to do a research about the publications you want to reach. Once you know where you want your press release to be potentially published, you can reach out to the specific journalists who are relevant in your industry. Find out the kinds of bloggers and influencers your audience tends to follow, send out a personalized email with your release in the form of a hyperlink.
2. Submit your press release to a free PR distribution website. There are actually quite a number of online press release websites that will publish your press release for free. This mostly involves a very quick and easy submission process. PR websites have different standards and rules when it comes to accepting submissions, so be sure to check their guidelines before submitting your press release. Keep in mind, however, that most of the time, this only gets so far as to publish your press release on their websites and nowhere else. There are also thousands of submissions every single day. So this might not be the most effective method of distributing your press release.
3. Get yourself a paid press release distribution service. This is by far, the most effective method out of the three. A paid press release distribution campaign can go along way in disseminating your news to the right set of people. Established PR companies have partnerships with the biggest syndications in the country, not to mention various digital news websites. Does it come with a hefty price tag? That depends. If you think your news deserves a broad reach, it should be worth the price. However, there are many cost-effective PR companies with different price-point services that will suit your personal needs. We suggest that you set your own PR distribution budget and go from there.
What are the benefits of a press release distribution?
If a press release is distributed effectively, your business can reap its many benefits. These are only a few:
- It can help you reach a wider audience. A press release is a very useful promotional tool. If widely distributed, your press release can reach audiences you wouldn’t have otherwise been able to reach. If you’re planning on online distribution, your copy can even reach a global audience.
- It can help increase your brand visibility. You want your product to be seen. A press release can put a spotlight on your brand. It’s an excellent way to introduce your company, products, and what you stand for to a target audience.
- It can improve your SEO ranking. Search engine optimization has become an integral part of any digital marketing campaign. And why not? It allows your business to be seen by half the world’s population that has access to the internet.
- It builds relationships with your customers. When you distribute a press release, you’re communicating with your customers. You’re letting them know of any new development within your business. And building a relationship with your customer helps in gaining a loyal customer base which is really good for your business.
- It improves public perception. The more people hear from you, the more they’ll notice you. By sending out a steady stream of newsworthy press releases, you’re creating a buzz about your business that makes it harder and harder to ignore. A press release can shape your image by delivering consistent and relevant messages that send a positive image of your company.
Press release distribution may be an old and classic method of promoting a business. But it has managed to adapt to the modern times and is still one of the most reliable means of marketing. When done correctly, it can give any business a much-needed boost. By utilizing this guide, you can ensure the success of your press release and enjoy its rewards.